A Clearer View

Latest treatment options and news about cataracts, dry eye syndrome and other eye care topics.

Is Cataract Surgery Covered by Medicare?

by Damion Wasylow 29 April 2021 07:09 AM

medicare paperwork on desk
Medicare Part B
is frequently used to cover the majority of costs for both traditional and laser-assisted cataract surgery. Available to people 65 or older, younger people with disabilities, and people with End Stage Renal Disease, Medicare is an ideal means to pay for your cataract surgery.

Determining Medically Necessity

The first step in qualifying to use Medicare Part B to pay for your cataract surgery is having the procedure deemed “medically necessary” by your eye doctor. That just means that the severity of your cataract (or cataracts) interferes with your ability to perform normal daily activities. In early stages of development, your cataract condition may not rise to this level. Cataracts inevitably get worse with time, however, so your eye doctor will monitor the condition with you to determine when you reach the medically necessary threshold.

How Much of the Surgery Cost Does Medicare Cover?

Typically, Medicare pays 80% of the total cost for traditional cataract surgery. That includes preoperative exams, removing the cataract, implanting the lens, and postoperative exams. You must then pay the remaining 20% of the surgical cost out-of-pocket. 

If you elect to have laser-assisted cataract surgery, which is typically more expensive than traditional surgery, you will also be required to pay the difference in cost between the two procedures. Despite that added cost, many patients still opt for laser-assisted surgery due to the increased precision, faster, pain-free recovery, and improved long-term prognosis.

At North Florida Cataract Specialists and Vision Care, we’ve provided state-of-the-art cataract surgery to literally thousands of patients who use Medicare. Our eye surgeons, Dr. Gregory Snodgrass and Dr. Matthew Gray, are specially-trained experts in cataract surgery. And our office staff will help make the Medicare paperwork easy, and payment options understandable, so you have one less thing to worry about.

To schedule your cataract consultation, contact our practice today by calling 352-373-4300.



Comments (0)

Blog Links